Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Herbal Marshmallow Root Detangler

Mommy Monday on a Wednesday? Yes, but it couldn't wait til next week! (See note at very bottom of post).

Marshmallow Root is supremely amazing for hair! It's mucliganous properties softens the hair naturally while providing easy slip when combing. I originally made this to use for my little one but because it worked so amazing, I've incorporated it into my routine!

{Pin this}
 Here is my litle one after we've used the detangler. She actually posed for me - never happens!

You can personalize this recipe with herbs that are right for your hair type and color. Chamomile is great for blonds. Sage perfect for darkening. Nettle is very nourishing.

Aloe Vera Juice has a ph of 4.5-6 so it's similar to our hair ph. Often, we over shampoo our hair, drying it out which makes it create more oils (which makes us shampoo more so it's just an icky cycle).

I used horsetail and oatstraw because they are high in silica and other nutritive minerals for great hair health.

All these herbs are available from Mountain Rose Herbs.


This detangler is first a decoction with the marshmallow root which we then infuse with horsetail and oatstraw then when cool add aloe vera juice and essential oil.

Herbal Marshmallow Root Detangler
3 cups distilled water (purified will work in a pinch)
2 T marshmallow root
1 T horsetail
1 T oatstraw
1 c aloe vera juice (or so, read directions)
10-30 drops essential oil *optional

1. Make an herbal decoction with the marshmallow root and water - Boil water and add marshmallow root then turn down to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
2. Take off heat and remaining herbs. Let rest at least 15 more minutes.
3. Strain through cheesecloth-lined sieve into bottle when cool.
4. Add aloe vera juice (if the infusion results in less than one cup, I just use equal parts aloe vera juice so its half infusion and half aloe).
5. Spritz on comb or hair and get to work!


P.S. I know I've been amiss lately but my priorites have been elsewhere, as they should be really. I love this blog and will continue to post recipes and ideas but God, my family, and my photography business does come first. (Maybe one day this will help me make money as well - That would be a dream!)
P.P.S Surprisingly, during this break, I made a lot of great recipes that I will be sharing on the blog in the future. The purpose of this break was not to do so but alas I won't stop the creativeness! Be on the lookout the next couple of days for some deliciousness.

I buy my herbs from            Mountain Rose Herbs. A herbs, health and harmony c

12 comments:

  1. Where the heck!!!! do u get these ingredients! !!! Sounds foolishly expensive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, it's not expensive! It's actually quite comparable to buying a detangler in the store. I buy from www.mountainroseherbs.com ($3.50 for 4 oz marshmallow root) or my favorite local health store that carries herbs in bulk.
      I use it for many other projects including a cough syrup I've posted here.
      You don't have to use oatstraw and horsetail. There are many other herbs beneficial for hair including chamomile for blonds, marigold for red heads, sage for darker hair.
      Or at the very least, you could just rinse with aloe vera juice. This is quite inexpensive and you can actually get it free through vitacost.com using this link to sign up for a $10 gift card: http://www.vitacost.com/Referee?wlsrc=rsReferral&ReferralCode=90207252
      I hope this helps!
      Mary

      Delete
  2. Wow, I've been trying to find a detangler that works. I've spent money on commercial products, but haven't found anything. My hair is natural(afro)without any chemical straigtners and it's been a journey to detangle my hair. I've heard marshmallow works. I will be trying this.
    Thanks
    PS
    I will be posting this to my page
    http://aisforafro.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to hear that!
      Please let me know how it works for you.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I could really use this. I too buy the expensive ones in the store and they don't work so great. I want to learn more about using natural items for helping and healing. I am one of your newest followers and look forward to hearing more remedies. Thank you for sharing and telling where to get the ingredients. That was one of my questions where to get aloe vera juice and marshmellow root ect :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! Any thoughts on shelf life? Cannot wait to try this- hate chemicals!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to know the shelf life too. Need one for my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyway I wanted to say that it's nice to know that someone else also mentioned this as I had trouble finding the same info elsewhere. Obat Herbal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Sharing, I always prefer herbal remedies after all they have been known and used for thousands of years all over the world. Learn about Best Herbal Supplements for Depression Stress and Anxiety Treatment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting.I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea, I love using herbal remedies instead of all the chemicals in products, especially where my children are concerned. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...